As its name suggests, the Municipality of Sainte-Aimé-des-Lacs distinguishes itself by the lovely bodies of water dotting its territory. Located near the village entrance, Lac Sainte-Marie or le Petit Lac, and Lac Nairne or le Grand Lac are its most well known.
The village strand winds around Lac Sainte-Marie while its many waterfront properties lend it a surprising cachet, especially since some even turn their back to the landscape’s lovely natural element.
For its part, le Grand Lac is home to la Base de plein air du Lac-Nairne and countless vacation chalets that are sprinkled around the lake. Sainte-Aimé-des-Lacs history tells of a contribution made by one of its more illustrious homeowners of a bygone era, a certain Charles Fitzpatrick (1851-1942). Chief Justice to the Supreme Court of Canada and Lieutenant Governor of Québec, in 1917 he commissioned a chapel to be built in the municipality. It still stands today, not far from his chalet.
More history trivia: From 1920 to 1940, Lac Nairne served as an airport for hydroplanes that ensured mail delivery to the Côte-Nord region. It was also from Lac Nairne that a rescue mission was organized in 1928 for crewmen aboard the Breman, whose objective had been to cross the North Atlantic from east to west.
Lastly and also of interest, les Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie National Park may also be accessed via the Municipality of Sainte-Aimé-des-Lacs.